- 1 head of cabbage, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 can Campbell’s Cream of Chicken & Mushroom Soup (Yes, the make it combined. It’s available locally at Angell’s)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1 sleeve of Ritz crackers, roughly crushed
- 1 cup shredded cheese
Combine the cabbage, onion, soup, mayo, and (1) stick of butter in an oven dish, then bake for 45 minutes at 350′. Combine crackers, cheese, and 1/2 stick of butter and place on top of the cabbage mix, then bake another 15 minutes or until browned.
*** On a personal note, since I don’t measure ingredients, I’m likely to be using more like 1 cup of mayo than 1/2 c. because I add enough mayo to look approximately the same amount as the chicken & mushroom soup. I’m also heavier on the cheese… likely closer to 2 cups than 1.
- Be sure to bake the cabbage & onion well, so it’s browned on the tips of the small cubes of cabbage and onion. It might take more or less in your oven than the recommended 45 minutes shown above. Note: It’ll be watery if you don’t cook it long enough.
- If you don’t have Cream of Chicken & Mushroom, you can substitute Cream of Chicken. (If you use just Cream of Mushroom, it doesn’t turn out as well). If you don’t have either, you can combine some chicken broth, a small can of mushrooms, and some sour cream in a blender and use. (Yes, I’ve done this, and it turned out well.)
- For a low carb version, you can substitute crushed pork rinds for the Ritz crackers.
- And, to tilt this recipe toward a main dish, rather than a side item, you can cook chicken breasts, then chop up and add to the cabbage & onion mixture.